13 September 2012

Peach Muffins and Scones


Welcome to my new home on the web!  I’m so glad you’re here.  It’s good to be back blogging and photographing again … not to mention baking!  As soon as I feel that first Autumn chill in the air, I’m ready to get back to baking.



My husband is still undergoing chemotherapy for his cancer but we’re more than halfway there.  As long as there are no further delays or complications, we expect that he’ll be finished early to mid-November – just in time to celebrate the holidays.  He’s doing well but the treatments are understandably taking their toll.  I want to thank so many of you who sent such thoughtful emails during my absence.  I didn’t plan to be away this long (I didn’t plan to be away at all!) but found that I couldn’t keep up with everything and taking an internet break was necessary.  Now that I’m feeling rested and refreshed, I’m eager to get back online.



So, you’re probably wondering why I’ve moved my blog.  I was working on moving to my own server earlier this year but put everything on hold when Bobby was diagnosed with cancer in the Spring.  When I was ready to start blogging again, I decided to make the move before I came back and worked like a mad woman to get my new site up and running.  My old blog will remain open but will no longer be updated.  September is the perfect month for a fresh start, don’t you think?



I’m really looking forward to catching up with you … I’ve missed you!  Please leave a comment and let me know what you’ve been up to.  I’ll leave you with these delicious fresh peach recipes from my mother’s kitchen.

Peach Muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup milk
2 fresh peaches, diced
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp nutmeg

Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Beat egg with sugar, butter and milk. Mix flour mixture with egg mixture. Toss peaches with brown sugar and nutmeg. Gently stir peaches into batter. Spoon into 12 large muffin cups and sprinkle with topping. Bake at 400°F for 20-25 minutes.

Sour Cream Peach Scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
1 cup cold sour cream
2 peaches, diced
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Powdered sugar for garnish

Combine dry ingredients, mixing well. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add sour cream and begin to gather dough together. Combine peaches with brown sugar and nutmeg. While dough is still crumbly but has not yet formed a ball, add peach mixture to the dough. Gather into a rough ball; do not over mix. Divide dough into two 7″ discs (dough may be sticky) and place on a cookie sheet. Score the top of each disc into quarters. Bake at 400 °F for 25-35 minutes until top is golden brown and center is cooked. When cool, dust with powdered sugar.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! ♥